Friday, June 24, 2005

The Summers that was!!!--Part I

So heres the first post abt my Summers Experience...and I have been dying to write about it!...it had quite a few bitter sweet moments and am just waiting to offload all of them on this page so that atleast they get recorded for posterity if not for introspection.. :)
Well to begin at the beginning....it started on the 3rd of April with my erm 3 exams getting over...wat a relief that was...i immediately buzzed off to meet Manpreet who had just landed...
then was the hectic ritual of packing up all my stuff which was tremendously back breaking i must say....but somehow that unpleasant taks was completed and i was ready to take the flight to delhi the next day..thats April 4th...now here comes a date by date description of what happened thereafter...
4th April Monday: I land in Delhi in the evening at around 7.30 ish and am received by the very loyal BSF ppl....am carted off to the Officers Mess at Chhawla...on the outskirts of Delhi and bordering Najafgarh..the home of Virender Sehwag..well anyways Chhawla was to become my home for the next 2 months..and wat a nice proxy home it was!!
My dad joined me soon after...flying from Jodhpur...and we had a nice dinner there...a wellcccooome break from the mess food at IIMB which gets on ur nerves within a week itself...
5th April Tuesday: I knew that the Amex timings were from 2 pm onwards so I was waiting for their cab to come and pick me up...kept waiting till 3 and no sign of the cab...and then Charu the HR female who sat on the first floor (which I ofcourse camer to know about later) calls me up and apologizes and asks me to come by my own conveyance!!
anyways after mistaking another office for the AMex office i finally land up thr..and am welcomed by Kavita Mehra...the administrative incharge....and am introduced to my team after meeting my Director... Subroto...
so i am to b part of the Customer Underwriting Team under Amit Mondal...the other members of my team being Sharada, Aashti (both SBAs..as they were called in Amex),Sapan shah,.... and then a guy who was to become a close friend and mentor of sorts over the next few weeks....ladies and gentlemen....drum rolls plz.....DIVYESH mahajan....
wen i first met divyesh he seemed a veteran at Amex..someone who had been aroubd for a few years at the least...but it later turned out that he had just joined barely a month ago!!..and he was also going thru the little sas book..which was to become my constant companion for the coming days before i voluntarily decided to get rid of it..
anyways on the first day i got acquainted with the organization as a whole..for eg. got to know that there were 4 floors in the building in all...out of which 2 and a half were hijacked by the call centre ppl...we used to call them HBs....standing for h***y b****es..what with the amount of makeup etc that they used to put and their constant sashaying up and down..
anyways to get bak to the point:
April 6th Wed to April 8th Fri: The week went off in getting the cab to come to my place at the rite time....it so happens in amex that on thursdays the cab routes get changed so the entire confusion of having a new cab to pick me up had to b restarted...but all in all my original cab was quite a nice one with a girl called garima in it...and the cab driver also became friendly with urs truly coz i was the first pick up and the last drop..and at 11 at nite wen u r tired like hell and bored to boot u dontt mind talking nineteen to the dozen to even the strangest of ppl...soon i got to know his entire life history....but it was all good fun...
April 9th Sat: My dad came bak from Kashmir to spend the weekend with me..which was so cool...we went to PVR Saket and saw "Shall we dance"
it had been ages since i saw a movie at PVR anupam so i was surely quite pleased with myself..and the previous nite we had had dinner at The Raddisson's Kebab Factory :)
Thus came to an end my first week at Amex and the beggining to my Summers Story...
more in Part II

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home